Common Eye Conditions & Diseases
The most common eye diseases you are likely to hear about are cataracts, diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma and macular degeneration. Other common eye conditions include dry eye and low vision. Though ophthalmologist Dr. Hester is well known as a cataract specialist, he has been treating other eye diseases and conditions for two decades.
- Cataracts are clouding of the eye’s lens that causes blurred vision
- Glaucoma is a group of eye conditions that damage the optic nerve and is one of the leading causes of blindness
- Diabetic retinopathy is damage to the blood vessels in the light-sensitive tissue of the retina that can cause blindness in patients who do not control their blood sugar
- Macular degeneration is a chronic eye disease that causes vision loss in the center of your field of vision
- Dry eye is caused by inadequate tear production, which itself can have many causes, or poor tear quality that causes stinging or burning in the eyes
Learn more about eye conditions and treatment options from a compassionate eye specialist. Call Ralph Hester, MD, Ophthalmology at 405.271.9500. For your convenience, you can use our online Request an Appointment form. If you begin to experience cataract symptoms or other eye problems, call us right away. Our patients visit us from Norman, OKC, Yukon, Oklahoma City, Bethany, Edmond, El Reno and Mustang.